Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I really, really, really wanna zig-a-zig-ahh! No, really, I do!

This morning, Twitter had a present for me: the Spice Girls were trending!  Why, I wondered, fearing as always that someone had died.  I mean, that is the fastest way to trend.  Thankfully, however, Posh, Baby, Ginger, Scary, and Sporty are all alive and kicking.  They are making the news because there's a new musical based on their songs being launched at the end of this year in London.

I could say that the Spice Girls are a guilty pleasure, but that would imply that I feel guilty in taking pleasure in this pure pop display.  And I don't.  Because they are fabulous.  I have fond memories of belting out 'Wannabe' with my British cousins over the summer, and coming back to Texas obsessed with the Spice Girls before anyone else had even heard of them on American shores.  It may well be the only time I have every been ahead of the curve.

I went on to worship the girl group for several years.  I dressed up as Baby Spice for Halloween, though I think a few of the parents handing out candy probably mistook me for some kind of hooker.  Be that as it may, I never really turned away from the Girls.  I bought their last album together when there were only four, and I have a few of their solo albums.  I just barely missed the opportunity to see their reunion tour, something I will probably be a little bitter about for the rest of my life.

I probably won't make it to the Piccadilly to catch this show either, but if they ever make it into a major motion picture, I'm so there.  And hey, this time I won't make my dad take me.  Sorry, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment