Thursday, September 27, 2012

Reclaiming the ridiculous

The teenage years are pretty much your earmarked era of unfortunate fashion choices.  It's expected that you will naively submit to a lot of trends that don't age well, and you get a sort of pass on judgement (but not on mocking).

I feel like while I did participate in some questionable trends, I wasn't fully able to realize my potential for making myself look ridiculous, partly because of my weight.  I just didn't feel comfortable in some things, even when I was able to find my size.  This is my excuse now when I find something that I want to wear, even though I know I've entered that phase of life when really you should stop making fashion faux pas.

Like, say, last week, when I found a pair of hot pink corduroy shorts in the clearance section of Kohl's. I knew I had to try them on, and told myself it would almost certainly end there.  But when I put them on, I just couldn't help it.  They were silly, and they made me smile.  And at 70% off, I decided that they didn't need to be particularly practical.  So I bought them.

I haven't worn them yet, but I'm thinking they'll be perfect with some black leggings, pink sneakers, a t-shirt and jacket for going on the Hill Country Yarn Crawl.  Because first of all, it's an outfit that reflects the fun of the event.  And I'm going to put faith in my fellow crafters not to judge me too harshly.  I'm still a child at heart, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment