Thursday, May 15, 2014

5KCBWDAY4: Apologies to my Ashford

Conversations Between Workers.  Start by writing a few short paragraphs from the point of view of one of the tools you use for your craft...Then, write a dialogue between yourself and this item.

I do not have delusions of grandeur.  I know that I am but a humble spinning wheel.  I have been described as functional, practical, a good wheel to learn on.  But since making the arduous journey across Texas to Austin last October, I have not functioned, I have not practiced, and she has not learned.

Instead I sit in the living room, waiting and watching as she knits with commercially-spun yarn.  I know she yearns to turn roving into handspun.  I see her turn her glance my way, I feel her best intentions (we wheels are very wise in that way).  I know the time is drawing near when plans turn to actions and research becomes lessons.  If only I could talk to her...

J: I'm sorry, Ashford.  One day I'll learn to spin.
A: I know.
J: Did...did you just talk?
A: Well, not talking.  I'm tapping into the psychic link that connects all crafters and their tools.  The 'Bob' line.
J: Ooooookay...so I'm having a conversation with my Ashford.
A: You can call me Ashley.
J: Ashley.  Right.  Hi?
A: Hi.
J: So, um, I'm sorry.  I really do want to learn how to spin on you, but...
A: I know.  Work.  Knitting.  Running.  Blogging.
J: Yeah.
A: But wheels were meant to spin.  It's not difficult, I promise.  You just have to get started.  I promise not to prick your finger and send you into a deep sleep.
J: Alright.
A: So...when do we start?
J: I'll find a class or something.
A: You could have taken one at Hill Country Weavers.
J: Yeah, but that was for three Sunday mornings.
A: The marathon was Saturday mornings, and more of them.
J: True.
A: So...when do we start?
J: I'll take you to Yarnorama for a First Saturday spin-in.
A: Which one?  June?
J: Maybe July.  June is Yellow Rose Fiber Fiesta.
A: Will you buy me some fiber?
J: Maybe.  We've already got a couple of braids for you, though.
A: Just don't wait until October.

I won't.  Don't worry!

For more 'Conversations Between Workers' posts from day four of Knitting & Crochet Blog Week, search on the 5KCBWDAY4 tag.



1 comment:

  1. Use that wheel! You'll like it. :) It'll take a little getting used to but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete