Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Where you lead, I will knit


After several weeks of displaying my progress with pride, this time I have to veil my projects in a little bit of secrecy.  Because along with a few rows on my cardigan, what I'm now working on is for a swap package.  And on the off-chance that my spoilee, or anyone else from the swap, might be amongst my reading audience, I'm not going to offer up any photos.

But I will offer up hints.

The swap is themed around Gilmore Girls, the mother-daughter show that mixed hilarity and drama, and ran on the WB in my high school and college years.  How I loved this show.  Like millions of others, I watched this with my mother when I was in high school.  There was small town quirkiness, stereotypical teen drama with a sincere twist, and constant pop culture references in a script that was several pages longer than most shows.  The fact that the daughter was a teenage bookworm with high collegiate dreams didn't hurt.  I, like Rory, constantly had a book with me, and I had an inability to pare down my library when going on longer trips.  You just never know what you're going to want to read!

Unlike Rory, though, I didn't change my mind about the college I was determined to attend at the last minute.  And when I did leave to go to Sarah Lawrence, I watched in the communal TV room with other fans (I camped out in the room up to several hours ahead of time to make sure we got the time slot).  Then I called my mom afterwards to talk about it.

So returning to this classic (don't you love how it only takes a few years for something to be classic?) has been a lot of fun.  There are so many references to pull from.  What can I make with a box of corn starch to harken back to Rory's first kiss?  How best to represent Lorelai's classic refrain of 'hockey puck, rattelsnake, monkey, monkey, underpants'?

I won't say what my first handmade is, but I will reveal that I have borrowed the stitch pattern from Lorelai's Scarf in Blue Heaven, which was reverse engineered from one of several pieces of knitwear worn over the course of the show:
Except I'm not using the four-row pattern to create a scarf.  I charted out the directions and did some crafting voodoo to turn it into a pattern knit in the round.

And that's all I'll say!  Anyone else out there a GG fan?  Any ideas for crafted goodies I could include? Favorite bits of randomness?  And don't forget to check out the other WIP Wednesday posts around the web!

No comments:

Post a Comment