Monday, January 20, 2014

Cubicle kitchen: Lime Cracker Parfait

My Key Lime Pot de Creme was my last dessert of 2013, but I came into 2014 with a few extra limes left over.  And so, I decided that the first office treat was going to be something a little less fancy-sounding, but just as delicious.

This doesn't require a water bath, or anything more complicated than mixing and layering.  Well, except for the part where you should try and remember to bring spoons for serving.  I had planned to grab plastic ones from the cafeteria, but didn't remember until after they had closed for the afternoon, so I had to beg some forks off of the administrative assistant.  Whatever works, right?  The next option would have been those little stir straws from the coffee shop, which might have turned into some kind of chop stick strategy.

It sounds like a joke, but it might have been worth trying, because people loved these.  Including me.


Lime Cracker Parfait
Recipe from Serious Eats: 10-Minute Lime Cracker Pie

My Notes:

  • Instead of a pie plate or casserole dish, I assembled about 1 1/2 dozen individual parfaits in 5-ounce Dixie Cups, with a single cracker for each layer
  • I added about 1/2 Tablespoon of zest to the filling as well as sprinkling it on top of the parfaits, just for extra zing
  • I used four crackers per parfait, but could have added one more layer to completely fill the cups (obviously then having fewer parfaits)
  • You should definitely let these sit overnight, so the crackers absorb the filling and soften

No comments:

Post a Comment