Wednesday, July 17, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Arms, too many or not enough?

This week I actually made some progress on my knitting in moments when I couldn't be spinning.  I had a moment of triumph thinking, 'Woo-hoo, I'm going to finish this sleeve!'  And that moment was immediately followed by a moment of, 'Woo-hoo, I still have to make another one...'  Clearly, I have too many arms.

This thought leads me to yet another pop culture reference.  If you didn't realize it by now, my mind tends to take everything in and filter it through the database of movies, TV shows, music, books, and anything else I've absorbed throughout the years.  This time, the mere suggestion of extraneous appendages immediately brought this moment of 'Coupling' to mind:


If you haven't seen this show yet, I highly recommend checking it out on Hulu or Netflix.  Do not, I repeat, do not attempt to view any of the US attempt at capturing the glory of this show.  In fact, forget I mentioned it.  Let's all just pretend we live in a world where shows like 'Coupling' and 'Red Dwarf' were only ever made in the UK.

Anyway, when it comes to knitting a cardigan, I have too many arms, but when it comes to spinning, I usually feel like I don't have enough.  Well, actually, with spinning I think I'm finally getting a hang of it, though I tend to stick to park and draft for the most part.  Where I really find myself wishing I was a Hindu god is plying.  For my first yarn, I did a 2-ply pulling from the center and outer ends of a center-pull ball.  It was a little too much to keep track of, the twist of the plied yarn and the chaos of the ball bouncing around.

Not that I've started plying these singles yet.  I still have a few handfuls of fiber yet, and a growing suspicion that this is going to take five cops rather than four.  But I will spin on!  Tomorrow is supposed to be a 'challenge' day, I'm not sure what I'm going to attempt, but I'll try to do something worthy of the cyclists' efforts.

For more WIPs this Wednesday, go to Tami's Amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment