Friday, March 14, 2014

FO Friday: Totally whelmed

It almost feels like cheating to have another FO so soon.  But then I remember that I've had this on needles for over a year.  So it's not exactly a 'quick win', something we always think we've identified at work at the start of the year, then discover that we're still working on it come summer and realize that there is no problem so small that the solution cannot be discussed in a few more meetings.

Before my meeting days, '10 Things I Hate About You' was one of my favorite movies.  It was my first introduction to my alma mater, Sarah Lawrence College, and is chock-full of quotable quotes.  So when Schmutzerella Yarns dyed a yarn inspired by the movie, I was all in.  Along with the yarn, she sent everyone who ordered a skein a little button with the word 'whelmed', as in:
"I know you can be overwhelmed, and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?"
"I think you can in Europe."
Indeed.  I have that button pinned to one of my early chunky knit hats.

She based the colorway on the scene where Kat and Patrick go paint balling, so the bare yarn looks splattered with primary colors.  I love these kinds of crazy variegated yarns, but I'm always struggling with patterns for them.  Nothing too lacy, because you won't see all of that hard work.  But nothing too plain and boring.

I think my Up for Anything Cami has turned out to be one of the perfect examples of a pattern that handles color while still holding its own:



It kind of looks like I've been rolling around the paint ball field, right?  Incidentally, these photos also show off my relatively new hair cut.  Right after my birthday I told my stylist that I wanted something short but still kind of ponytail-able, and she got it just right with this asymmetrical cut.  We also bonded over having both run the marathon, who knew?

Anyway, I might block the body of the cami just a bit, but I really like it as it is.  I'll almost certainly wear it with a tank top underneath, for modesty and warmth.  For the most part, this was a simple knit.  I had a little trouble finishing the top, you can find some info in my project notes about that.  Basically, I used another knitter's modification but needed to do some rewriting in order to make them something I could follow.  I've already told you, I like things to be spelled out explicitly, otherwise I cannot be trusted to know that I should do it.

So, now that my cami is done, it's official: I'm ready for spring!  And I mean real spring, not a day or two of nice weather and then a sudden chill and then back again.  Fully-sprung spring.  Full of whelming weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment