Monday, September 30, 2013

Monday Movie Madness: Last Night

No more trips to the theater, this week it's just a new-to-me movie that I watched for the first time on Netflix Instant.  I tend to gather movies in my queue like skeins in my stash of yarn, with much more than I'm sure I can watch, but I randomly decided to give this one a go the other day.


As the trailer tells you, 'Last Night' is a drama about a couple with an impossibly fabulous Manhattan apartment and impossibly fabulous romantic dilemmas.  Michael has a female coworker who is just as attractive as she is attracted to him.  They are off to Philadelphia for the night to win over an important client.  But not to be outdone, Joanna ends up running into her French ex-boyfriend, a fellow writer who is clearly on the top of her list of 'what if's in life.

Oh, to have these kinds of problems.

Snark aside, this was a rather lovely movie.  Quiet and unassuming, but rich with implications.  The will-we-or-won't-we atmosphere isn't too overwrought.  Aside from the real estate and the fact that Joanna has the kind of job that only people in movies ever seem to have and still eat anything other than Ramen, there are some sincere and sympathetic moments.  Essentially, the film portrays two kinds of romantic betrayal: the physical and the emotional.  Which is worse and whether Joanna and Michael's marriage can survive either or both are questions that the film poses to the viewer without explicitly stating the answer.

I really enjoyed watching this, and it's perfect for the recently rainy weather we've been having here.  A moody movie for a gloomy afternoon, to be enjoyed with snuggly socks and a cup of cocoa.

That's it for this edition of Monday Movie Madness, care of Amaryllis Musings, curtain down!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good movie. I too gather a netflix queue like a squirrel. I think I have more movies and TV series than I can watch in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to check this out. I see a lot of movies and I'm impressed that you keep coming up with stuff I've not seen. :)

    ReplyDelete