Saturday, September 14, 2013

Inspiration Saturday: Stopping in to rove

I can never just 'stop in' to a yarn store.  I have to browse the shelves, and I will inevitably find something I cannot leave behind.  I have accepted this fate, and no longer attempt to thwart it.

So when I needed to 'stop in' to Gauge today to pick up a passport for this year's Yarn Crawl (next month, yay!), I had pretty much accepted that I was going to leave with more than my little booklet granting me passage to eleven local yarn stores in the hill country.  But I admit, I never suspected that I would find these.


Look at them, so unassuming, pretending that they aren't a very exciting new development in my spinning world.  I didn't even know Malabrigo made roving!  Clearly I am not psychically in tune enough with the fiber world.  But having spotted it, I couldn't turn away.  Malabrigo yarn is so soft and squishy, I need to try see if my own Malabrigo handspun will have the same gorgeous texture.

There was also a gray-purple colorway there when I first saw this, but my oohs and aahs brought the attention of another crafter (who I actually know from work), and she bought them.  But that's okay, because I still took these two:


They're called Nube; the gray on the left is Plomo, and the red is Cereza.  I'm not sure, but part of me wants to either spin or knit at least some of them together.  They're both just so very...gothic.  Basic, almost elemental colors, but hand dyed with such rich, deep shades that they are anything but simple.  This is why every time I say the word 'Malabrigo', the M has at least two syllables.

This is all bringing me closer and closer to the conclusion that I need a wheel.  At the very least, I need to give one a serious demo.  Because I'm accumulating a stash of fiber that cannot support my lack of speed with a spindle.  I love my spindle, but I would love to be able to spin and ply one big skein, and at a greater rate of return on craft time invested.

Hmm, you know what this means, don't you?  I'm going to have to stop in at Yarnorama...

For more inspiration, go to Woolen Diversions.


1 comment:

  1. Oooooh lucky duck! Nube is totally new, they've just released it over the last couple of months, it's been the talk of the Malabrigo Junkies group on Ravelry. Which you should join! In October they do a big event full of KALs and I'm pretty sure they're going to do a spin-along for the new fiber. Lots of forum-y fun and prizes.

    ReplyDelete