Thursday, December 27, 2012

Froyo files: Yogurt in Love (San Marcos)

Usually my Wednesday evenings are spent in the gym, running on the treadmill and then joining a group exercise class.  But the gym is at the office, so during the holidays I'm free to fill my Wednesdays another way, by knitting with my mom's knitting group down in San Marcos.  And as further evidence that frozen yogurt and I are destined companions, a new frozen yogurt shop just happened to open up next door to the coffee shop that hosts the knit group.


Yogurt in Love: 102 Wonder World Drive, San Marcos, TX

When I visited: Wednesday, December 19th, around 8 pm

Cost per ounce: 45 cents

Number of flavors: 10

Sorbet options: 3

Experience: Bright white and spacious, it looks perhaps a little sparse inside, but they were only in their second day of business, and the decor that they did have was very cute.  The girl at the counter greeted us and was ready to explain all about the self-serve frozen yogurt in case we didn't know.  Since we are experts at this point, the only tip we really needed from her was that because the machines are so new, they were a little quirky.  The levers were a little stiff and the froyo was flowing quite freely, which resulted in a little bit of a mess while sampling.  The yogurt could also have been a little more frozen, but these are small things that can be worked out as the shop stays open.

My favorite was the Tropical sorbet, a great pineapple-y flavor.  There were two other sorbets, Mango and Pomegranate, but Tropical won me over.  I also really liked the Strawberry, which was a yogurt rather than a sorbet, so I had that along with the Tropical and some fruit.  Mom really liked the Cheesecake, and swirled it with the Strawberry to make her own froyo version of a classic dessert.  She even went wild with some rainbow sprinkles and white chocolate chips to top it off, along with some blackberries.

The other flavors, like Vanilla with no sugar added, Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, and Peanut Butter, were also fine.  The Caramel Pretzel was a little too salty and not quite caramel-y enough.

Worth a revisit?  Yup, I think any time I get to join my Mom's knit group I'll be looking forward to some froyo as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment