Monday, July 30, 2012

No more yarn...and this time, I mean it!

The trouble with going on a yarn diet for any length of time beyond a month is that there are always little events popping up that make seem irrational not to add to your stash.  There are big sales at Hill Country Weavers at the start and middle of the year, fiber festivals in April and November, not to mention other random sales from stores both on and off-line.  Birthdays and swap packages also create reasons to grab more yarn.  And just like grocery shopping, once you're in, you rarely leave with just what was on your list.

This time, it was a sad sale that caused me to gorge myself on new yarn.  As I mentioned before, Yarn Barn in San Antonio is closing, and so their stock was on massive reduction.  We drove down yesterday to bid them a reluctant farewell, and bring a small piece of the store back home with us to remember them by.  My piece just ended up being slightly larger than planned.

I ended up with:
  • Several skeins of Cascade 220, two for Christmas gift knitting and four bare skeins to be dyed using Kool-Aid or food coloring sometime in the future
  • What Would Madame Defarge Knit?, a pattern book that I've had my eye on for a while
  • A skein of Abstract Fiber yarn in a brilliant pink (call it the theme of the weekend)
  • A skein of Dream in Color that blends misty blue and a very light blush pink, I'm thinking it will make a nice shawl with icicle motifs
But that's it until October!  Between now and the Yarn Crawl, I'm going on a diet.  The only exception made will be for the purchase of yarn for swap packages.  Very strict.  No cheating.  Absolutely none.

No comments:

Post a Comment