Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A meta mushroom

Let's get this straight: I'm not Sandra Lee.  My kitchen does not magically change decor to match the theme of everything I cook, I barely use table settings much less crafty ones, I don't pair every dish with a cocktail, and I'm not nearly as perky.  But I am a big fan of the idea of semi-homemade cooking.  I love taking 'real' ingredients and mixing them up with readymade stuff that comes out of the freezer or pantry.

Take, for instance, a recent dinner.  Mom had brought home two yummy portobello mushrooms, and after wiping them clean and cutting out the stem, the question only remained what we would cook them with.  Stuffing them with something only made sense, and stuffing them with...well, stuffing, made even more sense.  Here's what I had:
  • 2 portobello mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup dry Stove Top mix
  • a little bit of onion, chopped up
  • a dash of minced garlic
After setting the over to 350 degrees, I wiped the mushrooms clean and cut the stems off of the caps.  I sprayed them with non-stick spray and set them on a baking sheet, gills up.  

After trimming the end off, I chopped the stem and sautéed with with that bit of onion and garlic.  Meanwhile, I took the Stove Top and microwaved it with the necessary amount of water.  I didn't bother adding the margarine.  

When both of those were ready, I mixed them together and filled the caps as evenly as possible.  Then popped that into the oven for just over 25 minutes.

With just a few minutes left on the oven, I decided to give in to a temptation that usually yields a good result: add a fried egg on top.  Here's the finished dish:
I love the herby quality of the stuffing paired with the earthiness of the mushroom, and the egg acted almost like a sauce.  And getting to add in the mushroom and onion to the stuffing makes me feel like I'm doing something a little extra.  And it makes it a mushroom stuffed with mushroom, or mushroom squared if you will.  This is definitely something I'd like to make again, very easy to throw together.  And light enough to go a little crazy with dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment