Friday, July 6, 2012

Joe Wright's book club cinema

I'm starting to wonder if Joe Wright has something against original screenplays.  Not that I can hold it against him, if I were a director the first place I would probably go for inspiration would be my bookshelf.

Having started with many a reader's favorite novel, Pride & Prejudice, Wright has also adapted Ian McEwan's Atonement, and even The Soloist, which is a true story, was also a book before becoming a film.  Only his previous film Hanna was an original screenplay (though I feel the need to point out its many fairy tale elements).

He's done everything from classic to contemporary to non-fiction when it comes to book adaptations.  And now, he's going for full-on Russian epic:
Something else to look forward to later this year, right now Anna Karenina is looking at a November release in the US.  Given my current reading rate, I don't think I'll have time to read the book first if I plan on seeing it in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment