Saturday, June 15, 2013

Inspiration Saturday: KIP-ing along

This week, what I'm finding most inspirational in my knitting is getting to go out and do with with some friends as part of World Wide Knit in Public Day.  Rather than seeking out an organized event, we went rogue in our mission to expose the world to knitters in their natural habitat.

First, we went to go see Baz Luhrmann's take on 'The Great Gatsby'.  I looked forward to this movie's release for a while because Baz is one of my sentimental favorites, but wasn't able to actually go see it until now.  It didn't surpass any of the Red Curtain Trilogy films for me, but there were some enjoyable aspects, like cameos by 'Doug' from 'Strictly Ballroom' and Baz himself.  And I thought Leonardo DiCaprio really captured the romantic desperation of Gatsby.

Baz's wife did her fair share on the movie as well, as the costume designer.  The 20s fashion is just as gorgeous and bold as the rest of the film's visuals, and makes me want to knit a vintage pattern.  The closest I've come to a 'roaring' project is this cloche for the NaNoWriMo swap last year:


I don't think it's something Daisy would wear, she'd never appreciate the work that goes into a handmade.  But my spoilee liked it, so that's all that matters.

After the movie, it was time for lupper - too late for lunch, a little early to be dinner.  But it's always time for pancakes at Kerbey Lane Cafe.  This time I had one oatmeal raisin, one vegan peanut butter, and one classic gingerbread.  Or to be precise, I had a half of each one.  Tomorrow I'll start on the leftovers.

We did a little knitting after ordering while waiting for the griddle to heat up, and then after having stuffed ourselves silly with deliciousness.  But I don't think the point of WWKIP Day is how many rows you can get done, it's getting to spend time with other stitchers.  And that's where most of the inspiration comes from.  Sorry, it's not very specific.  But it's pretty easy to get for yourself.

Did you do anything for WWKIP Day?

And don't forget to check out more inspiration at Woolen Diversions.


1 comment:

  1. How did I miss that it was knit in public day?! Well, since I knit during meetings at work every week, I feel like I'm still keeping the KIP spirit alive anyway. :) Sounds like you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete