Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cubicle kitchen: Brownie Chunk Cookies

I love leftovers, but I rarely leave them in their original form.  Grilled chicken with a side of steamed veggies one night will be chopped up and mixed together to make some savory pancakes for the next.  It's not that I never eat the same meal twice, because I very often do.  Just not generally from the same 'round' of ingredients.

Now, chicken and veggies are obvious leftovers.  But brownies?  Who has leftover brownies?  Well, I did.  They had somehow survived the gauntlet of office treats and made it into the freezer.  Rather than just thawing out the squares for late night snacking, I knew I was going to have to give something else a brownie boost.  I thought about ice cream, I classic choice.  But rather than selfishly create a dessert for myself, I reinvested into another baked good.

Any time you have something you want to just toss into a baked good, cookies are a pretty safe bet.  You can substitute almost anything for the traditional chocolate chip.  Including chunks of brownies.  Other than milk, the best beverage for a nice brownie, cookie, or brownie-stuffed cookie, is hot chocolate.  So why not also use a Ghiradelli hot cocoa mix in place of regular cocoa and some of the sugar?  There is no reason why not, and so the recipe I found was one using hot chocolate mix, and I just made the brownie substitution.

These were soft, chocolatey, and delicious leftovers.  And don't worry, I don't have any cookies left over to put into anything else!


Brownie Chunk Cookies
Recipe from Cookies and Cups

My Notes:
  • I substituted the recipe's mix-ins of marshmallow bits with 1 cup of prepared brownies chopped roughly into chunks
  • I also used milk chocolate chips and some chopped up white chocolate I had in my freezer
  • Mine didn't spread as much as the originals appear to have in photos, and could probably have stayed an extra few minutes in the oven.  But they were just fine as soft chunky cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment