Monday, June 17, 2013

Cubicle kitchen: Yellow Brick Rocky Road Fudge

You know it's been a busy few months when you look back through your own blog and realize that you forgot to post a recipe.  Horror of horrors!  I think the reason I let it slip through the cracks was because the 'recipe' itself is so simple.  But I refuse to let it remain undocumented because the results were so delicious.  So as I recover from my pre-training run in the over 90-degree heat of a Texas summer evening, allow me to take you back in time, to several weeks ago...

It all started with the marshmallows, which my mom found in the grocery store and in her wisdom, brought back to me, knowing that I would find some use for lemon-y marshmallows.  They're called Campfire Mallow Bursts, and these are the lemon meringue variety.  She also bought me key lime pie ones, which you'll see soon.

What to do with these delicious marshmallows?  My mind first connected to rocky road, with the soft and squishy marshmallows balanced by crunchy nuts and smooth chocolate.  I didn't want to do nuts with the lemon, so my crunchy element was instead a box of Girl Scout cookies I had stashed away in the freezer.  I also had some lemon candies and bits of zest that are always worth adding.  With this fudge, once you have your flavor profile, you can pretty much add whatever you think works.  This is probably the threshold, however, for the ratio of fudge to mix-ins.  Any more and I'm not sure the squares would have maintained their structural integrity.

But each additional ingredient came together to make this fudge irresistibly delicious.  I ate several pieces, more than I usually find myself needing to with my treats.  They were that good.  So I couldn't in all good conscience keep them from you.


Yellow Brick Rocky Road Fudge
Makes a 9" x 13" pan

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag white chocolate chips
  • 1 (14 oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 1 (8 oz) bag lemon-flavored marshmallows, cut into smaller pieces
  • 1 box Girl Scout Lemonades, roughly chopped
  • handful of sour lemon candies, roughly chopped
  • sprinkling of dried lemon zest
Directions:
  1. Mix chips and condensed milk into a microwaveable bowl.  Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring until melted.
  2. When chips have completely melted, stir in extract, marshmallows, cookies, candies, and zest.
  3. Pour mixture into a 9" x 13" pan lined with parchment paper.  Place in fridge, and cut into squares when set.

1 comment: