Monday, June 24, 2013

Allergic to old age

This weekend, I experienced an annoying first: allergies.  Rudely enough, they started Friday evening, with red, itchy eyes, and an occasionally runny nose.  This is the first time I've 'had allergies', the only other allergic reaction I've ever had being of the more disturbing swelling variety, when I woke up with fingers so fat I couldn't bend them around my toothbrush in the morning.  Ah, college memories.

Anyway, medication was taken and my eyes are a much more normal color.  Apparently, allergies are just one of those things you can accumulate as you get older.  Yay, another reason to feel old.  I'm hoping that this growing into allergies thing which I've heard is so common does not mean that it's going to be an every day issue.  Especially because I'm not sure which exact particulate flying through the air caused it.  I'm inclined to blame cedar, just because it's all around me and it is evil, but I don't really know.  And I refuse to consider the possibility that I'm allergic to weekends.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not allergic to cauliflower, since I just ate the equivalent of an entire head of it in the form of a cauliflower 'mash'.  If you've never tried this, it's a delicious side dish that's slightly reminiscent of mashed potatoes, but with many, many fewer calories.  Similarly to spaghetti squash, though, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily for people who love the starchy originals and hate veggies.  You should at least like veggies to consider this a possible substitute as the co-star with your meat loaf.  But it's another preparation that I hadn't tried until very recently.

A Google search will yield you plenty of results, but the basic idea is to cook up some cauliflower until nice and soft, then blend it down with some liquid and seasonings.  I boiled the cauliflower in water heavily seasoned with bouillon cubes and garlic salt and used a small amount of that as my blending liquid along with some Brummel and Brown.  So yummy.  Really.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that I ate an entire head's worth.  I'm about to explode with cauliflower goodness.

As long as I don't start sneezing cauliflower.

1 comment:

  1. I was stunned when I developed asthma and hayfever in my mid forties. The doctor wasn't remotely surprised so it must be quite common. Both conditions are quite mild though.

    ReplyDelete