Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cubicle kitchen: Citrus Rice Krispy Treats

My mom knows me so well.  When she sees lemon and lime flavored marshmallows on clearance, she gets them for me because she knows that I'll be able to make good use of them.  Yesterday I made up for lost time and finally shared the first treat I made with the lemon meringue marshmallows, Yellow Brick Rocky Road Fudge.  Those were inspired by a common use for marshmallows, rocky road.  Last week I twisted another tradition, Rice Krispy Treats, this time using the key lime pie variety of these Campfire Bursts.

I'm not the first to find these marshmallows and think of treats, it looks like Mallow and Co has tried something similar as well.  She's also got a wealth of other awesome treat ideas, so it's worth checking out if you ever find yourself with a spare box of cereal and bag of marshmallows.  But while she went down the actual pie route suggested by the marshmallows, I instead took the lime as my starting point and just took it up a notch.  As usual, you'll see some optional ingredients listed that reflect whatever I had in my pantry that would add to the theme.  I even decided to make a glaze, because I wanted to make sure the lemon-lime really popped.  Snap, crackle, pucker, if you will.

I also used gluten-free Rice Krispies for the first time, because one of the knitters in my mom's group is intolerant, and if it's possible to keep the gluten out without really changing the recipe, I want to include her.  Plus, I know she likes citrus-y things because we introduced her to the deliciousness that is Trader Joe's lemon curd.

Oh, lemon curd would have gone great with these...next time.


Citrus Rice Krispy Treats
Adapted from The Original Treats Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 package Campfire Burst Key Lime Pie marshmallows
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • dashes of dried orange and lemon zest
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Optional: candied citrus peel, powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Reduce heat to low and add marshmallows, stirring until melted completely.  Add lemon extract and dried zests.
  2. Add cereal, stirring thoroughly.  Optional: add 1/4 cup or more of candied citrus peel.
  3. As soon as the cereal is fully coated, transfer into a 9" x 13" pan lined with parchment paper.  Use a spatula sprayed with non-stick spray to spread the cereal evenly in the pan, pressing down.  Allow to cool, then cut into squares.  Optional: mix powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze, drizzling on top of the treats before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment