Whoops! Guess who totally forgot to post on Wednesday? Without any good excuses like not having an internet connection? That would be me. All I can claim is to have a lot on my mind, and maybe that the yoga helped me clear it a little too well.
Oh well. At least I still have lots of recipes to share with you all, starting with one from just before my trip. This was my first time using a fancy cookie press, and even though it can be a bit fiddly, once I got the hang of it, it wasn't actually any more difficult. And people were very impressed by spritz cookies. Because I can't leave well enough alone, of course I had to add a puddle of glaze in the center to make them into even more citrusy flowers.
So I guess this is my way of apologizing for not posting yesterday, with a bouquet of flower cookies. Forgive me?
Grapefruit Spritz Cookies
Adapted from Bakers Royale: Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 yolk
- 1 Tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- About 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- About 1/2 Tablespoon grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Add egg (including additional yolk), zest, and extracts.
- Whisk flour and cornstarch together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture until dough forms.
- Follow the directions for your cookie press.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and juice together until you reach the desired glaze consistency. Drizzle over cookies and allow to dry.