Thursday, October 2, 2014

Cubicle kitchen: Grapefruit Spritz Cookies

Whoops!  Guess who totally forgot to post on Wednesday?  Without any good excuses like not having an internet connection?  That would be me.  All I can claim is to have a lot on my mind, and maybe that the yoga helped me clear it a little too well.

Oh well.  At least I still have lots of recipes to share with you all, starting with one from just before my trip.  This was my first time using a fancy cookie press, and even though it can be a bit fiddly, once I got the hang of it, it wasn't actually any more difficult.  And people were very impressed by spritz cookies.  Because I can't leave well enough alone, of course I had to add a puddle of glaze in the center to make them into even more citrusy flowers.

So I guess this is my way of apologizing for not posting yesterday, with a bouquet of flower cookies.  Forgive me?


Grapefruit Spritz Cookies
Adapted from Bakers Royale: Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen

Ingredients
For the cookies:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 large egg, plus 1 yolk
  • 1 Tablespoon grapefruit zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour, plus 2 Tablespoons
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
For the glaze:
  • About 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
  • About 1/2 Tablespoon grapefruit juice
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Cream together butter and sugars.  
  3. Add egg (including additional yolk), zest, and extracts.
  4. Whisk flour and cornstarch together.
  5. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture until dough forms.
  6. Follow the directions for your cookie press.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  8. In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and juice together until you reach the desired glaze consistency.  Drizzle over cookies and allow to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment