Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Pretty cunning, don't you think?

There's a lot of cunning involved in swapping.  Taking inspiration from a theme, considering the preferences of your spoilee, and coming up with a collection of items, crafted and purchased, that will make them squee with glee.  'Squee' is a technical term, of course.

I have emerged from a phase of self-doubt and am now feeling particularly cunning in my Joss Whedon crafting.  I brought in the first knitted item I completed a few weeks ago into my coffee time with co-workers, because someone complained that us crafters were always working on something and never brought in the finished pieces.  So I wanted to break that trend.  I still can't show it to you, but I can offer this hilarious hint: it was modeled by a wooden decorative duck figurine.  It is not the intended purpose of this item to keep the duck warm, but it seemed like a fun way to display it for now.

Under the watchful eye of my duck, I reached another milestone in the pattern I'm currently working on.  Let's just say, there are three ______s total, and I've done two.  Just one more, then cast off and block.  The duck might supervise these activities as well.

I was also able to do a few other side projects this week, finding sparks of inspiration in certain episodes of Joss' shows.  One comes from 'Dollhouse', and a particular phrase which begins, 'There are three flowers in a vase...'  The second, as you might already have guessed from the title of this post, is related to Jayne's 'cunning' hat in 'Firefly'.  I haven't knitted an actual Jayne hat, but I have referenced it.  It was an idea that popped into my head as I was reading about what my spoilee liked.  My mom helped me realize it as an actual creation.  As usual, it isn't quite what I imagined, but the more I look at it, the more I think it's worked.  You'll be able to decide for yourself soon, because this box will ship out in about two weeks.

Until then, you can always look at more WIPs at Tami's Amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment