Saturday, April 6, 2013

Inspiration Saturday: Rain, rain, don't go away

Rain tends to have a lot of negative associations, and I can understand why.  A gray, wet day just doesn't have the same appeal as a bright, sunny one.  But it does have a few things to recommend it, not the least of which is the actual water coming from the sky.

Here in Texas, we seem to be in a neverending drought.  The past year or two have been particularly bad, though.  It has gotten to the point where unless we start needing to gather up pairs and draw up ark plans, we're probably not going to make up for lost inches.  So the stormy weather this week still illicits an initial response from me of, 'Oh, good!' rather than, 'Aww, puddles!'

Today was actually a lovely, sunny day.  We went for a walk near Bastrop at the McKinney Roughs and enjoyed some of the blooming wildflowers, another reason to be grateful for rain.  Bluebonnets, Evening Primrose, Indian Paintbrushes, Prickle Poppies, and a few others I can't identify.  And I know I'm a hopeless knitter because I kept thinking about how beautifully those colors would be in yarn.

While days like today are great for walks, there is also a certain satisfaction in the rainy days.  Staying in, cuddling up with some cocoa perhaps, and watching a few movies.  Like, perhaps 'Singin' in the Rain'  starring Gene Kelly, obviously a classic in the wet weather media:
More musical melodies, I can't not mention 'My Fair Lady' and how the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plains:

No movies for me tonight, I'm still a few episodes behind on the latest 'Downton Abbey' season, so it's time to settle in for the night's recorded viewing.  Until then, I leave you with the song that this blog post has gotten stuck in my head, 'Only Happy When it Rains' by Garbage:

For more inspiration, go to Woolen Diversions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, the last few episodes of Downton Abbey were doozies (though I might be a season behind, I watched it on Hulu).

    ReplyDelete