Thursday, June 14, 2012

Weird is wonderful

When people ask me where I'm from, I say 'Austin'.  Now, I don't say that to people in Austin, because technically it's not true.  I live along the stretch of spreading interstate suburbia south of the city, but most people would respond with the name of that town with a blank stare.

Austin, on the other hand, is bound to illicit a more recognizable response.  And along with music, one thing Austin is known for is being weird.  That's supposed to be a slogan for supporting local businesses, but it's also a mantra for Austinites to feel free to let their freak flag fly.  Which I, as a twit, am in full support of.

In my online freelancing, I would write a lot about local events and businesses.  Though I want to be able to write about other things, I don't want to stop writing about Austin.  In fact, I'd like to write about things in Austin beyond my previous scope of knitting or literature.  So while this blog will hopefully attract adoring fans around the globe (insert self-deprecating laugh here), I will be highlighting some of the weird and wonderful things going on around my fair city.

Or at least the fair city that's just a short drive up the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment