Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Brave new blog

I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a writer.  From random squiggles pretending to be prose to grasping at job listings after graduating from college, it has been my quest.  Particularly in the post-graduate state of my life, this has lead me to try various online freelancing positions, some for longer than others.  Something about an external structure somehow made my writing seem more legitimate than just having my own blog.

But no one else can make you a writer.  Publishers don't make novelists, and networks of online content don't make me a writer.  They just make it more work, with rules about what I can write about and how.  But more work doesn't equal more wages, and I'll sacrifice a few pennies for the freedom to write about cupcakes, knitting, and 18th-century British literature.  Probably not all in the same post, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment