Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Movie Madness: Gone with the Wind

I don't think I've ever seen this movie all the way through in one sitting.  But I'm fairly certain that, thanks to various marathons over the years that have played it on repeat throughout an entire day, I've seen the whole thing in bits and pieces.  Including last Wednesday, when AMC had the strangest combination of marathons for Thanksgiving week.  All day Wednesday:


'Gone with the Wind', to make you feel grateful that your Thanksgiving doesn't involve the burning of Atlanta.  Then Thursday they had 'The Godfather' 1 and 2, and for Black Friday, a slew of Hitchcock classics.

I found myself tuning into this off and on last week.  It's hard not to get sucked into the epicness of the entire production.  The sweeping score, the costumes that wouldn't fit through my front door, the outrageous characters, and the famous lines spoken in Southern drawl.  I love a good Hollywood classic, and this is definitely one of them.  But man, is this thing long.  No wonder they save marathons for holidays, otherwise no one has time to sit down long enough anymore to go from credits to credits.  But that makes it part of the magic of the holidays, I guess.

As an aside: I just started up another swap on Ravelry, themed around Jane Austen.  So as I was watching, I was thinking about how Scarlett's ultimate love is Tara, her home.  I think there's a lot to be said for the women of Austen's novels as in love with property as their romantic partners.  Even though Austen would tend to make a heroine out of someone like Melanie more than Scarlett, who is so much more of a Thackeray, Becky Sharp type, I think there are some things Jane might recognize.

For more movie madness, go to Amaryllis Musings.

1 comment:

  1. I have fond memories watching Gone with the Wind with my mom. We got her the anniversary DVD for xmas or her birthday. I begged her to watch it and so one Saturday night she put it on and we climbed on the bed in my parents room and watched the first half and then Sunday watched the second half. Of course I was at the age that I asked a ton of questions but I will never forget that.

    ReplyDelete