Saturday, May 3, 2014

Inspiration Saturday: Free form lace

My inspiration is hot off the presses today.  I went to a trunk show at Gauge (after, of course, a tasty stop at Yogurtland) and got to see some really gorgeous pieces of free form knitting.  Here are some of the photos I took, the rest are in an article I just posted for Examiner.


The pink was my absolute favorite piece, the 'pattern' flows like a stream, with some stitches bunched together like a stone sticking up out of the water and yarnovers flowing around.


You can't see it, but the gray scarf has little beads all over it.  I think they were threaded onto the yarn before knitting, then pulled onto the active stitches whenever she wanted to add them.


You can see some of the stitches better in this picture, and I kind of love how it's been matched with the knit poncho thingy.

All of these were made by Susan Johnson, a local fiber artist who teaches classes in free form knitting occasionally at the store.  I won't get to join them for the class tomorrow, but I'm itching to learn more and maybe try my hand at it.  I love the idea of just knitting whatever I feel like as I go and ending up with something totally unique.

Have you ever knit free form?  Or are you a slave to your patterns?  For more inspiration, go to Woolen Diversions.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting concept! I could see how it could work well in lace. Even though one of the things I love most about lace is its repeating patterns, I could see how organically flowing holes would still be pretty.

    ReplyDelete