Saturday, February 1, 2014

Inspiration Saturday: Beaded knitting

As of this week, I can declare myself to be a knitter who can bead.  It was many moons ago that I purchased beads from Sea of Beads in North Austin that matched my cardigan yarn so perfectly.  And it was only a few days ago that I showed you my in-progress bottom ruffle including beads.  I only needed to purl one more row and cast off, but you'd be surprised how long that takes with that many stitches.

Now, the ruffle is done, and I'm even more proud of my first foray into beading:


You can't see the shimmer of the beads as much in photos, but what I like is the subtle way they catch the light every once in a while, particularly as part of a frilly ruffle.  I still have two sleeve ruffles to do, and possibly some beading on the neck if I have some left over, but I'm already looking forward to possible beading in other projects.

Like Laura Aylor's Faberge, which uses beads to make the scale quilting stitch really special:

Photo credit: Laura Aylor
While that's the sophisticated side of beading, I also find myself drawn to the fun side, like in Twinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies, where beads act as crafty sprinkles for cupcakes and cookies you can wear:


I've only ever crocheted a chain before, but these just look like so much fun, and the bead sprinkles are too cute.

A scarf that would probably be more appropriate to wear everyday but still has some beaded flair is the TNT Beaded Scarf by Deanna K. Van Assche:

Photo caption: Interlacement Yarns
My mom has this pattern as part of a kit she bought in Navasota at WC Mercantile, along with some yummy Bluebonnet Hills Alpaca Ranch yarn and Czech glass beads.  Maybe after she makes hers, I'll try one myself.

Have you added beads to your knitting? What are your favorite kinds of projects?  For more inspiration, go to Woolen Diversions.

No comments:

Post a Comment