Monday, October 21, 2013

Movie Madness Monday: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Ah, democracy.  It seems to be working out, for the most part, right?  Sure, sometimes the government shuts down for more than a week, but overall, this whole concept of representation to go along with our taxation is mostly working out.  In the spirit of democracy, I have two things for you.

First, I want to mention that Craftsy has opened their polls on your favorite bloggers in various categories like knitting and baking, two of my favorite things.  Check out all of the nominees and vote for your favorites.

Second, I have a recommendation for a classic, democracy feel-good film:


I remember watching 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' in my high school government class.  I think we were supposed to be learning about politics and graft, but mostly I remember a lot of my fellow female students noticing how dreamy Jimmy Stewart is.  It's one of those self-evident truths that crosses generations.

But aside from that, this is legitimately just a fantastic film.  It's a simple story, not in a bad way, but in a universal way.  Smith is literally a boy scout, the good guy brought into the moral morass of D.C. unaware of the plots being hatched in the inky shadows of all of those patriotic monuments.  His idealism is played for laughs at the start, as the audience knows better than to expect politicians to be sincere.  That's even more true today, when cynicism is prized.  But I defy even the most sarcastic millennial not to be rooting Smith on by the end, and feeling a little glow of civic pride.

I'm pretty sure that part of the reason the filibuster remains a part of our system is because of the positive associations we have with it because of this movie.  Because no one wants to give up on the possibility of Mr. Smith showing up and saving the day with one.  So there's your lesson in democracy for today.  Watch this movie, vote for your favorite blogs, and then apply these same principles in something that actually matters to you.

Don't forget to check out more movie madness from Amaryllis Musings (hey, I recognize that movie!).

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting movie. I have seen parts of it, namely the filibuster scene but haven't seen the whole thing. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete