Monday, October 1, 2012

Countdown to the Crawl: T-minus 4 days

I am so, so happy to bid adieu to September, which brought so much stress at work, and welcome October with open arms.  Arms I hope to soon fill with many skeins of yarn and braids of roving in the Crawl.  If you're in the area and haven't registered yet, there's still time, and I can vouch for its being a weekend of fun.

As I have done for two years now, I will be taking Friday off for the first of two days spent  driving around the Hill Country and stopping only for yarn and frozen yogurt.  So that means that for the four days of this work week, the Crawl will always be on my mind, waiting for a moment when technical documentation might loosen its grip on my mental capacities and allow for a little daydreaming.

We already have the route figured out, the same as last year with a few minor adjustments for the shops added and lost from the list.  Now it's just about how early we want to get up and how long we want to give ourselves in each store to make sure we get it all done within the opening hours of 8 am to 7 pm.  Have to balance the desire to get a head start on the fun with the equal desire to not have to set an alarm on any day that doesn't involve work.

And we have to make sure that we're going to be appropriately timed for breaks to get some frozen yogurt.  Because nothing goes with skeins of fiber goodness like swirls of froyo goodness.  Friday's trek has us dipping down to San Antonio, so we'll be making the almost instinctual pilgrimage to Chill Out.  Saturday we have several options as we loop around from Bastrop up north and then work our way down.  If nothing else, we can always swing by Berry Austin, since it's so conveniently located near Gauge.

I have a spreadsheet of each store along with some ideas of what I might get at each one, but no amount of planning will compare with looking and touching when I get there.  And so I plan what I can.  Of course, the froyo, like the fiber, will have to be sampled on the day to make the final decision.  Have to allow for a little spontaneity, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment