Monday, August 13, 2012

Hulu happily ever after

My dad does not do cable.  He is a sworn enemy of Time Warner Cable, despite having to rely on them for internet service.  He's very proud of his cable-less status, and the various means that he is able to access his shows without them: digital over-the-air, Netflix Instant, and now, Hulu Plus.  Now that it's on the Apple TV, it's part of his patchwork programming plan.

Which works for me, because Hulu has all those shows that I meant to watch when they were on, but didn't necessarily get around to figuring out exactly when it was on and before I knew it, the season was over.  For example, 'Grimm'.  It starts up again tonight (hey, I wrote an article about it for Examiner, go read it!), and I'm not all caught up yet, but I have finally gotten around to seeing 3 or 4 episodes of the first season last week.

Here's my expert review: I like it!  It's cute, a little bit scary, a little bit funny, and just fun to watch.  I like things that twist sci-fi into other genres, like Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and, umm, things Joss Whedon didn't make too.  While this isn't his show, it does have two writers from Buffy and Angel, so maybe it's not a surprise that I like it.

I also want to catch up on the other fairy tale show from last year: Once Upon a Time.  I watched the first episode, but yet again fell prey to the 'when, again?' and didn't see any subsequent episodes.  The fact is, I just tend to watch more cable than network television.  When I flip through channels, I usually stay in the range between HGTV and USA, sometimes going as 'high' as MTV and as 'low' as Lifetime (if I think there's chance 'Project Runway' is on).  I don't turn to the big four unless there's something in particular on.  And now that the Olympics are over, I probably won't watch as much NBC in the rest of the year combined.

Because I don't care if they put it on Hulu or not, there aren't enough Olympic promo spots in the world to make me want to see 'Go On' or 'Animal Practice'.

No comments:

Post a Comment