Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cubicle kitchen: Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies

I didn't grow up eating oatmeal.  There was a German porridge-type dish that I loved which is apparently basically baby food, as well as Weetabix drenched with warm milk sprinkled with sugar, but I didn't really get into true oatmeal until a few years ago.  It started with those instant packets that come in various flavors, and then I ventured out into the canisters of plain oatmeal that I could add my own flavors to.  

When I was buying those boxes of instant packets, I don't think I ever guessed that one day I would be making my own savory oatmeal for dinner on a regular basis (as I am tonight).  And while I eat oatmeal regularly, I almost never use those instant packets anymore.  So what to do with them?

The answer is what it usually is: bake with them.  There are plenty of oatmeal cookies out there, and it only took a quick Google to find out that no, using flavored instant varieties would not so heinously throw off the delicate chemistry within my oven that the cookies would burst into flames.  Even so, I chose to use a recipe specifically written using it as the ingredient, just so I wouldn't have to consider/worry about the added sugars or powdered dairy product or anything else.

And, of course, the advantage of oatmeal cookies is that they are so obviously a health food.  So you can have two.


Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe from Modern Day Mom: Instant Oatmeal Packet Cookies

My notes:
  • I used strawberry-flavored packets of instant oatmeal and added about 3/4 cup additional freeze-dried strawberries.
  • Of the many textures of oatmeal cookie you can have, these are chewy.
  • The flavor from the instant oatmeal is noticeable but not strong, making it prime for flavor pairings, like substituting some of the butter for peanut butter and extra jelly for PB&J, or amping up an Apples & Cinnamon packet with extra spice and applesauce as a butter substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment