Friday, February 22, 2013

Cubicle kitchen: Red Hot Chocolate Cookies

It seems that I just can't move on from the Valentine's-inspired treats, because I couldn't resist taking some chocolate-covered cinnamon candies and using them like chocolate chips in a cookie.  But clearly these are not a seasonal dessert, because my co-workers loved them.  I actually caught a little exclamation of dismay from one who was too late in going to grab a second cookie later in the day and discovered that they were already gone.

Given the response, I'll probably try these again.  I don't know whether I'll be able to find the chocolate-covered candies again, but I think substituting half semi-sweet chips and half candy would work.  I have a few ideas for next time.  First, adding some cayenne pepper to the cookie dough itself for a little extra kick.  I would have done this initially, except I didn't have any on hand.  And then, someone mentioned that marshmallows would be a welcome addition, which has me thinking about play on rocky road.  Until then, I'm happy with this first batch.


Red Hot Chocolate Cookies
(adapted from Real Simple)
makes about 40 cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room tempterature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • about 1 cup of dark chocolate covered cinnamon candy (you could substitute half chocolate chips, half regular cinnamon candies)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar together.  Mix in egg and vanilla.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Slowly mix this into the butter mixture until it's fully incorporated.  Fold in the cinnamon candy.
  4. Take a scoop of dough (about two tablespoons) and form into balls.  Place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, spaced a couple of inches apart.  Bake for 12 minutes, just until the centers are set (the cookies will crisp up as they cool).  Let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment