Wednesday, July 9, 2014

WIP Wednesday: A matter of time and yardage

I'm really loving what's becoming the traditional way of celebrating long weekends with my friends: gathering, noshing, and crafting.  My subway-tiled quilt has been sewn exclusively at gatherings like this, and for the 4th of July, I took another important step forward, piecing together each of the strips to form a completed front:
It's quilt-sized, yay!  That's me on my tippy-toes, so there's a good chance that the finished quilt will be legitimately large enough to sleep under without awkwardly bare toes or shoulders.  I would have loved it anyway, but it gives me a sense of satisfaction to know that it's also 'right' on its own merits.

Here's a closer look:
Yes, it's a little crazy and busy, but I like it.  It goes with the theme of the fabrics themselves, a bustling urban landscape that's a mix of organic and manmade sensory overload.

The next step will be to make a back.  I have extra yardage of four of the front fabrics that I found in the clearance section of Quilt Haus, so there are lots of options.  Probably something with larger blocks, perhaps log cabin or something.  After that, I also have the batting ready to be sandwiched in between front and back.  Finally, I'll have to think about binding, but I might already have enough fabric for that.

So the quilt is just a matter of time.  Unfortunately, my other WIP was a matter of yardage for a few days.

I am so close to finishing my Twist of Death that I could have finished one of the sleeves yesterday, leaving me with just the second sleeve and finishing work to do.  Unfortunately, my fears of not having enough yarn came true.  I think the culprit was my row gauge, which was short a row or two an inch, so I ended up knitting more rows in order to achieve the specified inches in the front and back.  I was able to finish the body of the pullover, and it fits well minus the necessary sewing up that needs to be done.  But 12 grams was all that was left after that, not enough for the sleeves.

Thankfully, Alisha, the wonderful dyer of yarn, helped me match up the pullover to the skeins she has left to try and get the closest dye lot.  I might still have time to finish this thing by the time the final whistle is blown in the World Cup, which is the ultimate goal.  Or should I say, gooooooooooooooooooooooooal.

What are you working on this week?  How did you celebrate the 4th of July?  Don't forget, there are more WIP Wednesday posts at Tami's Amis.

1 comment: