Saturday, January 18, 2014

Inspiration Saturday: Resolutions

Okay, insta-poll: we're halfway through January, who has already broken their New Year's resolutions?

There was a brief discussion about resolutions at the table when we were eating lunch on Christmas Day at my dad's house.  I offered (jokingly) that my resolution was to run a marathon, which apparently doesn't count when you spent most of your time working toward that goal the year before.  Oh well.

Thankfully, Hill Country Weavers came in and brought me a concept of resolutions that I think I can stick to throughout 2014.  I wrote about it in an Examiner article, if you'd care to read it.  But essentially, they're hosting a Knitter's Toolbox program throughout the year where knitters add skills to their theoretical toolbox, collecting stamps on their card for chances to win prizes at the end of the year.

You can earn up to twelve stamps, so breaking down to about a project a month, each one representing one technique.  These are the choices:

  • Stranded knitting
  • Intarsia
  • Lace
  • Mosaic knitting
  • Socks
  • Double knitting
  • Triangle scarf or shawl
  • Cables
  • Sweater
  • Hat
  • Try a new Fiberart: Spinning
  • Try a new Fiberart: Weaving
  • Try a new Fiberart: Crochet
  • Knitting in the round
  • Short rows
  • Steeking
  • I-cord
  • Felting
  • Make a buttonhole
  • Nupps or bobbles
  • Kitchner stitch

I haven't settled on all of the 12 of the 21 options that I'll try to tackle this year, but I have some goals.  Like socks, which is on the list, and you already know it's on my list for Ravellenic knitting.  Then I think finally getting my spinning wheel going and transitioning from the drop spindle will count as trying at least a new variation on the fiber art.  I know that I will definitely not be brave enough to try steeking, though, eep!  And then there will be some stamps that I earn with new projects that just aren't the first time I've used that technique, like shawls, lace, and of course, mosaic knitting.

I like that this isn't a resolution about avoiding anything, and it's up to me how many of these things I try.  I feel like it's going to give me a thread running through the year without constricting.

Did you make any resolutions for 2014?  Are you still resolved?  If you're resolved to be inspired, check out Woolen Diversions.


No comments:

Post a Comment