Saturday, November 30, 2013

Inspiration Saturday: Finishing

Another busy Saturday has left me rushing my inspiration this week, but I am feeling inspired.  Not by a particular piece of knitwear or technique, but more by a concept: finishing.

In knitting, finishing is my nemesis.  It's the section of the instructions that keeps me from turning a WIP into an FO.  After all of the work making a lovely lacy shawl, sometimes the picot bind off and blocking just seems to take an unfair amount of time and effort.  I've just started the post-blocking finishing required for my cardigan, sewing together the front panels with the back.  Once I've done that, then the ruffle edging will commence.  With beading, I have to remember those.  And then I'll finally have a cardigan!  It's a good thing I'm not relying on my knitting to keep me warm, or I would have frozen by now.

In running, for me finishing is all that matters.  I know more serious runners have personal records and paces they are setting for themselves, but I just want to make it to the finish line.  Today I ran 12 miles, whew!  I had to mix in some walk breaks, but I finished.  And I tested out some Gatorade Prime Energy Chews to keep me fueled throughout the near-three hour session.  My favorite part of today's run, though, was that I was running the same loop, but in the opposite direction, as another runner.  So we kept passing each other, and after the second time, the polite smiles you exchange get to be even more meaningful.  Since I run alone most of the time, that was a nice moment of runner camaraderie.

And here's another example of finishing I'm really excited about: NaNoWriMo!  Thirty days, 50,000 words, I have done them!  There are still stories that have been left unfinished, and some even I never got to start, but I logged in the man hours and got the creative juices flowing.  It was a challenge, but that's the whole point.  Now I'm going to give myself a little break from fiction-writing, but maybe after the holidays I'll get back to plotting.

Ah, it feels good to finish!  Have you finished anything recently that you are proud of?  Other than reading this blog post all the way to the end, I mean!

For more inspiration, go to Woolen Diversions.

No comments:

Post a Comment