Friday, May 31, 2013

FO Friday: Cupcake notebook of deliciousness

I don't have a finished knitting project to show you today, but last week I sent off another of my notebooks. (Full disclosure: it was actually two weeks ago.  Last week I wrote this post, then didn't hit publish before going out to dinner.  And near-midnight didn't feel like it was really Friday anymore, so I saved it.)  This time I remembered to snap some pictures using my phone before I sealed up the envelope, thank goodness.  And speaking of goodness, I decided to fill this notebook with more baked goodness, themed around some of the notebook owner's likes.  I got to tap into my inner child and do some drawing and coloring, and then I found cupcake recipes to go with them.

First, I turned myself into a cupcake with a little introductory page:

It's hard to decide on what kind of cupcake I am.  I think I'm a magical Willy Wonka cupcake that changes flavors with my mood.  But for the sake of putting a cherry on top, I went with a Cherry Vanilla Cupcake from Gimme Some Oven.

Next was her first fandom, Harry Potter.  I've only ever read and seen the first installment, so this muggle had to resort to being inspired by a well-known scene rather than being able to pick up on details:

Even without being totally into the Potter-verse, I'm always drawn to the smart and sassy heroines like Hermione.  And with that hair, I felt like Malfoy was easily translatable into a sour lemon cupcake.  So here's my cartoon cupcake take:


For Hermoine, I included a Triple Chocolate Cupcake recipe from Annie's Eats.  Partly because Hermoine's wild hair could be represented with scrumptious chocolate frosting, partly because the notebook owner loves chocolate, so I had to include a chocolate cupcake.  And as I hinted earlier, Malfoy is a Perfect Lemon Cupcake from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  I feel like a lemon slice pretty accurately mimics his hair, right?

Another page, another worldwide fantasy fiction sensation.  This time, it was Twilight.  Again, not one of my own obsessions, but I took inspiration from one of the iconic images of the series, the cover of the first novel:


Kind of cute, right?  I have to say, even when you don't see most of them, drawing hands always feels awkward.  The accompanying recipe is Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes with Cinnamon-Marshmallow Frosting.

And finally, she likes purple and butterflies:


I'm kind of proud of this one.  The 'wings' are dried slices of pineapple on top of Hummingbird Cupcakes.  The only theoretical difference between mine and Martha's being that the slices of pineapple are cut in half before being dried, so they look like wings rather than flowers.  I really want to try at least that part of the recipe for myself sometime.

For more FOs (maybe ones with knitting!), go to Tami's Amis.


No comments:

Post a Comment